This project involves designing how Step by Step can become a tailored resource for the residents in the city of Jackson. Currently, Step by Step is a website with a blog of health education content and events in the city. A recent addition is an activity challenges feature that Step by Step developed with a third party.
Our goals were to:
- Promote knowledge of physical activities in the city and health awareness
- Have Step by Step be a recognized resource in the community and at least HIO
- Design health content and presentation on the site
- Have residents use the tool -- over 50% of visitors click through and explore one part of the site, and
- Create a method to evaluate the use of our tools / resources
To do so, we developed a mobile app that leverages GPS functionality. Using our app, citizens are able to see the walking trails in Jackson, as well as the various recreation centers. By clicking on these recreation centers, citizens are able to see a list of programs that are being offered, providing an enhanced look at a location that is not available through other location services such as Google Maps.
Citizens using our app will be able to share pictures of locations in Jackson they have visited, as well as post information about their activities to their favorite social media outlets. Additionally, business owners of recreation centers will be able to use this platform to advertise their services and seek ways to set themselves apart from competitors.
The approach we have chosen, and our development strategies, will enable this app to be maintained at a low cost with the potential for high impact. There is room to invest in this application and improve upon its features should it prove to be successful.